Monday, October 3, 2011

It Doesn't Even Matter

Will it even matter 10 years from now?

I often ask myself that when I find myself freaking out about a "B" paper, or getting really upset about trivial things. I find that, most times, this system seems to keep me (the kind of person constantly in freak-out mode) in check.

Lately I've been asking myself that question almost constantly. With decisions like whether or not to go to Ghana, whether or not to stay in the honors program, and being an overly obsessive clean freak has made me really "up the ante" on the question asking.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't know how to say no, and doesn't know when to say stop. So when I get to that point when I have so much on my plate that I have to cut down or go insane (this point) I have to try to figure out what really matters. Unfortunately this proves to be quite difficult when you are a human living in a fallen world, and therefore very prideful. It's so very hard for me to drop things, or tell people no (or even confront someone I care about for that matter). But the older I get, the more I realize how to answer the 10 year question.

In ten years I think it WILL matter whether or not I taught English in an orphanage in Ghana. I don't think it will matter whether or not I stressed myself out to complete the honors program. It definitely won't matter if I buy that cute jacket 10 years from now. It probably will matter TODAY if I skip my morning devo to sleep for a few more minutes.

Priorities are so important. And it is becoming apparent that the method of "I don't need to prioritize because I'll just do it all", doesn't ACTUALLY work. For me at least..


“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."- Matthew 6: 25-34

No comments:

Post a Comment